what process for EASILY updating non-developer Freerunners

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Thu May 15 19:36:48 CEST 2008

On 5/15/08, Lasse Poulsen <admin at silenzio.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:22:51 -0700
> "Ron K. Jeffries" <rjeffries at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it too much to hope that we'll have access to something similar to
>> how Ubuntu installations are upgraded and updated with fixes?
>
> There is a package manager like there is on every other major
> distribution. In this case it's ipkg, a light version of the dpkg
> (debian package). It can be used in (almost) the same way and is very
> simple to work with!

I'm a command line tool guy. I get ipkg (and opkg), and I like them.

That said, this approach sucks for "average users". There may be a GUI
to do this, but remember that cellphones should be friendlier then
computers in this regard.

> Like every other aspect of software in the middle of development there
> might occur errors while updating!
> But don't worry, I bet there will be a lot of help for you and others
> alike recovering if anything fails!

I think it's good to keep perspective here. No one should expect
perfection, or even something very good in the software sense right
now. But we should have some goals and things we should be looking
towards. With that in mind, I think we want to consider what a real
end user would prefer to do, and work towards that. In the meantime,
we can all use CLI tools.

My 2cents.

Gerald