Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu May 15 19:58:48 CEST 2008

Michael Shiloh wrote:
> Have we made the decision then to officially move away from GTK? This
> was asked on the community list awhile ago, and IIRC there has been no
> "official" answer.
>
> Michael
Sorry for coming in the middle of the thread like that. Just wanted to
point something out.

Moving from GTK to QT is well enough (though I do most of my GUI
programming using wxWidgets, and it has no native QT port). HOWEVER, if
we are considering moving away from the mainline toolkits altogether,
the question of "non-standard" languages must be addressed. By
"non-standard", I mean the BiDi languages (Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi) and
the CJK languages (Chinese, Japanese and Korean). I can tell you that
getting a new toolkit to support those at the same level as GTK and QT
does is a non-trivial task. I know that because all of the Wine BiDi
support was written by me, and I have very good knowledge of how little
is in there, and how much work it took.

Just something to keep in mind. The whole world does NOT use languages
that are written one letter at a time, left to right, one keypress at a
time.

Shachar