Software Status Update

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Fri May 16 01:44:59 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> as such the software update has both qtopia on it as well as enlightenment as
> the wm - yes, some apps use etk too. "native look" really doesn't exist. there
> is no one homogeneous toolkit. qt has no changes made to its look and feel
> currently. gtk does ship on the device. choose the toolkit you like. i really
> do not like the whole mindset of "we must program in language X or use toolkit Y
> because the device happens to use it somewhere in some apps by default".

I do agree... I always use a kind of hybrid system here (I use mixed
apps both for Gnome/Kde/Xfce... Anyway a GTK/Qt mixture :P), but I've
spent days to get an homogeneous look (I use Qtcurve now)...

BTW, I think that there's an important thing, really more than the look
one: different applications that performs the same task should work on
the same dataset. I mean, if I've both an Openmoko SMS app, and a Qtopia
one I want them all read the same contacts and the same messages.

Maybe actually it's hard to do so, since they would use different
libraries and backends, but I guess that in this "middle-time" we should
write some "syncing scripts" that perform this important, vital imho,
task (converting data between apps on each runtime)!

Bye!

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/