Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri May 16 09:43:31 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:19:31 +0300 Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>
> babbled:
>

>> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:58:48 +0300 Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>
>>> babbled:
>>>

>> I will do my best to show you more respect than you have obviously shown
>> me. No promises.
>>

> ok. excuse me. but i did not show any disrespect.
Calling what I say "babbling" seems disrespectful to me.

> yes. indeed. if we do it by population or by country count. the MAJORITY (most
> - greater than 50%) use a language that DISPLAYS perfectly well left to right 1
> character at a time.
I'll skip the rest of the email, because we really don't want to turn
this into a flame war.

Like I said, adding display support to a toolkit, especially where the
machine already has the required libraries, is a piece of cake.
Answering Karsten, yes, if OpenMoko ends up using EFL, I will add BiDi
support to the display. I have done it before and know whats required.
It is NOT the display that worries me, and I have not seen you address
that point in my mail. I hate to see you disregard a need merely because
of emotional investment in a toolkit.

Operating a phone requires much more than merely displaying text. I
think it unsmart to not take that fact into consideration when choosing
a toolkit.

Shachar