Software Status Update

cedric cellier rixed at happyleptic.org
Fri May 16 10:26:30 CEST 2008

-[ Fri, May 16, 2008 at 04:54:48PM +1000, Carsten Haitzler ]----
> > And we are supposed to think that the lack of homogeneous look n feel is
> > a bonus ?
>
> it's up to you. you can uninstall whatever you don't like.

Of course, as I can code everything myself up to the kernel if I like to.

But the fact that we are given the freedom to modify the software
(Hurra!) is not a definitive answer to the problem of engeneering
a usable embedded user interface. OpenMoko is meaningfull only if its
there to provides a free user interface suitable for embedded device,
that is consistant and easy to figure out, with a shared data
storage, an easy packaging policy, etc...  Actually, more policies than
software (new software beeing of course necessary to achieve these goals).

This is what is lacking in the phone industry at large, and that's why
OpenMoko is important to me (only the iPhone stands out in this respect,
but to use the phone you have to sell mother and father to Apple, so
that its worthless).

Otherwise, if I feel like I just have a easy hackable hardware
accompanied woth a pile of various software requiring a geek to get
something out of it, well I'd rather have a Debian on the phone then.

> > Aside from that user perspective, what RAM is required if the phone runs
> > simultaneously some apps that use the three libraries ?
>
> very little.

That's good news.