Value of headsets and pouches for 10 pack orders?

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Fri May 16 13:37:35 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 3:59 pm, nickd wrote:
> That's strange. I'm in Brisbane and it worked out cheaper to buy in
> bulk. I estimated the postage as $70 for the bulk and $50 for individual
> (using AusPost's Int. parcel calculator). What was your
> postage/calculations? I've attached the worksheet I used to come to my
> amount.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but where did you get the
5% figure from?

Looking at the different tariff classes in

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4273

The openmoko could only possibly fall in section 16 and chapter 85.

Of those the closest fit seems to be item 8517.
(See http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/tariff/chapter85notes.pdf)
According to
  http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/tariff/chapter85goods_b.pdf
there are several subclasses of 8517, but the closest seems to be
8517.12.00 - Telephones for cellular networks or for other
    wireless networks

which is "Free" of import duty.

However I couldn't find "Computer" or "PDA" in Chapter 85, so
maybe I'm missing something.

But the above suggests that if the package is marked that it contains
Cellular Telephony Devices (sounds more impressive than 'mobile phones')
they should be customs-free ???

NeilBrown