Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Mo Abrahams moabrahams at dashavoo.com
Fri May 16 19:09:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 18:42 +0200, Michele Renda wrote:
> It is very easy to speak, but nothing is so easy when it must be putted
> in pratice. We all would like to have a phone that support all the
> characters set and all the language and writing directions. But we must
> to don't lose contact with reality.

I have a bad habit of always wanting the best of the best, so when I
know that one toolkit has a feature I would find useful, but we are
using another, I cannot help feeling a little let down, but as I do with
all products (because this bad habit can be a bitch when it comes to
buying things) I ask myself if I hadn't read about it, would I miss it?
And the answer is usually no. Whilst extra language features would be
great, if nobody had mentioned them it wouldn't have crossed my mind,
and now that somebody has it is something that we can all work towards
as a community. EFL is nowhere near as mature is GTK, but it is exactly
a project like this that can change that. Somebody will see something
missing in OpenMoko, realise it is due to an inadequacy of
Enlightenment, and will fix it upstream for everyone to benefit from.

and continued to write:
> But I think that to arrive in ML and to start to complain with Openmoko
> about the reason why they use a toolkit in place of another, or why a
> person use an automatic message, I think is not too much constructive.

When I first saw the "xyz babbled" thing, I thought it was some mailing
list way to say that somebody was talking out of their arse, being
manually put in to certain messages, and it wasn't until this thread
that I realised it was always the same person saying it, and for every
single quote, so I can understand where the misunderstanding came from,
but I think it was just fuel on the fire rather than the beginning of
the problem. Something that was, unfortunately, noticed in the middle of
a legitimate disagreement between two passionate parties.

and then added:
> So, stop with flame! :) and enjoy with Openmoko

Well said. In fact, don't just enjoy with OpenMoko, enjoy being a part
of OpenMoko.

Mo.