IAX2/Asterisk + Openmoko FreeRunner

Doug Hawkins illusion65 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 19:16:09 CEST 2008

Hi Brandon,

This sounds great!  I currently run two Nokia E-series phones (mine & my
wife's) that are connected to both WiFi & GSM doing exactly this
(incoming calls on both networks, outgoing preferred over one of several
VoIP connections).  Also, I switch WiFi networks regularly throughout
the day (work, home, friends, free WiFi at airports) and the phone
automatically reconnects the VoIP channels when it can.

There are a few "hassles" with the Nokia software that I'm looking
forward to making sure are "clean" with the OpenMoko system when I get
to start playing on one.  One is that on some "free" (airport &
community) WiFi systems, you have to open a web page and "accept" the
terms and conditions before it will allow any traffic (VoIP or
otherwise), so I'd like to make a routine that will run a config script
to accept the "terms" based on the network I'm connecting with (e.g.:
look up ESSID in a database to find out that a certain webpage's button
needs to be 'clicked' and perform that task).  The other is to
optionally connect to any open WiFi networks as I pass through them
(ESSID scanning & connect attempts through open AP's).

I realize those are "down-the-road" goals, but I'm looking forward to
developing them on FreeRunner.

Thanks for all your work on getting operational with Asterisk!

Doug