Wireless Radio/Accelerometer-based Triggers (was: IAX2/Asterisk + Openmoko FreeRunner)

Brandon Kruger bmk789 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:17:25 CEST 2008

Stroller wrote:

| On 17 May 2008, at 18:16, Doug Hawkins wrote:
|> There are a few "hassles" with the Nokia software that I'm looking
forward to making sure are "clean" with the OpenMoko system when I get
to start playing on one.  One is that on some "free" (airport &
community) WiFi systems, you have to open a web page and "accept" the
terms and conditions before it will allow any traffic (VoIP or
otherwise), so I'd like to make a routine that will run a config script
to accept the "terms" based on the network I'm connecting with (e.g.:
look up ESSID in a database to find out that a certain webpage's button
needs to be 'clicked' and perform that task).  The other is to
optionally connect to any open WiFi networks as I pass through them
(ESSID scanning & connect attempts through open AP's).

| I'm not sure that this should be handled by the VoIP software.
|
| Although I'd like VoIP on my Freerunner, a greater priority for me is
that the IMAP client should automatically check for new messages.

| On my present mobile (Sony Ericson P990i) one has to open the
messaging program, select the IMAP account and then "select send &
receive" from a drop-down menu. That this is so fiddly simply means that
I never do it, and if I must check for an important new message when
away from home then the client has to sync through weeks of new messages
in my inbox (yes, I should keep it more tidy!) before downloading
today's messages.

| I had envisioned writing a Bash script to run in cron every few
minutes: to switch on wifi, scan for networks and connect to any on an
"allowed" list; a background IMAP send-and-receive can then be performed
if a working wifi connection is found. If we are to have multiple
applications checking for wifi availability then I guess that should be
done in one place?

| Stroller.

This has given me an idea.  What if we built onto Neod (or an equivalent
future software) a function to deliver triggers for events from
Wifi/GSM/GPS/BT/Accelerometers like acpi does for power.

For example, currently I use acpi triggers on my laptop to start
Folding at Home when power is connected and kill it when I switch to
battery.  I did this by adding a line to a .sh file in
/etc/acpi/battery.d/ or similar and that script is ran whenever that
event happens.  Could we build an equivalent to this so that when you
connect to Wifi for example, it could launch a Voip client, download
mail, or whatever the user configures.  This could also be used for
GPS.  We could have a file to set what should be run when GPS = a
certain position.  This seems like the easiest way to deliver radio and
accelerometer based events.

Ideas?  Comments?