Will GTK be used in Openmoko?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Mon May 19 03:24:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 02:20:39 +0200 Piotr Duda <openmoko at nemezis.eu> babbled:

> maybe Im missing something but I couldnt find where Shachar demands from
> openmoko to give him support for his language.... it looks like he is
> disappointed with decision of moving from gtk to efl (just because the
> first one has some ready to use tools to implement support for his
> language)...
> well, IIRC from the beginning openmoko was supposed to be based on gtk
> (I can remember the flame war gtk vs qt some time ago) and I can imagine
> that he could have found this project interesting just because of that...
> and now, unexpectedly, we have such a big change... If Im right, I think
> he has right to feel disappointed....
> I know that gtk will be there also, but main openmoko apps, the one which
> will officially be supported, will be not based on it and this makes
> a *big* difference...

please READ THE EMAIL. suddenly the use of efl means "We are efl based". the
non-use of shipepd gtk apps means "we dont support gtk" and so on are all
bizarre views people hold and are espousing on these lists. they are not true.
we use EFL for certain apps and uses. it's good at certain things. qt and
qtopia re on their because openmoko decided that for the phone to be a usable
phone at all we need to just use qtopia's phone suite and ship it. to keep
supporting gtk and all other toolkits we have gone to effort to support it
under X11. we still use X - all toolkits still work.

shachar *IS* asking for work. he's saying "use gtk! dont use efl! it doesnt
support hebrew and arabic and farsi... bidi". that means WORK for US. we nave
to re-implement from basics the things EFL then does for us already.