Switch from GTK to QT (was: ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions)

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue May 20 20:23:27 CEST 2008

> Funny way to define the concept. I must disagree: if you "use the various classes"
> you write C++.

Fair enough. I have seen plenty of C code using C++ objects that I
didn't think of as real C++ code. It felt more like Obj-C to me, but
again, to each their own.

> Subjectively (for me), it is unsuitable for use.
>
> I write code as a job (have been doing that for longer than I wish to
> remember). C and Ruby are my current tools. I know from multiple
> personal attempts that C++ goes severely against my mental engrams. My
> ability to pay my bills depends on how smoothly and effectively these
> engrams operate. I cannot allow them to get disrupted.
>
> My complaint is that it would be difficult for me to put my hands into
> the default apps. They are C++, QT, and expectedly using enough of
> those creepy C++-isms (possibly, even those yecchy templates or
> whereabouts). I would be comfortable with tinkering with C&GTK main
> apps. On the other hand, I would find C++&QT main apps closed boxes (I
> perfectly know that I could very well write C/Ruby new code on the
> OM).

Fair enough. We all think in different ways so I can see what you're
getting at. I personally don't find C++ all that bad to grok once I
get into it a little, but if we were all like me the world would be a
boring place. :)

> I do not know how you received the idea that I was irritated.

Emotion + Email = Misinterpretation

My apologies if I misunderstood what you were getting at. Best wishes
whatever your decision on the phone, I certainly don't make any money
if you buy one. :) Just curious what you found so wrong about the
change, and you kindly explained it to me. Thanks. :)