ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions

Steven Kurylo sk at infinitepigeons.org
Tue May 20 21:16:46 CEST 2008

>> I'd still very much like to see a way to turn it off, so it works the same
>> for letters as for numbers. It's annoying 90% of the time because most of
>> the person or street names I need to enter into Contacts are not going to be
>> listed.  I promise not to write my next 850-page book on my Neo, so word
>> lookup is of limited use.  I suspect that Contacts, Todo and Calendar is the
>> most common use case for most people, and that writing normal text is the
>> least common for most people.
> I think I will write further more SMS than saving contacts. And the texts in
> calendar are not this long, at least in mine.

My current phone changes the keyboard type based on context.  If
you're typing into a password field, it doesn't try to predict.  Same
with an email address field.  But for the message body it becomes
predictive.  It also adds words to its dictionary from the current
context - words you've already typed which weren't in the dictionary,
or words in the message you're replying to.  Also if you use a word
multiple times it eventually adds it to the dictionary.

--
Steven Kurylo