Switch from GTK to QT (was: ASU software - pre-pre-release impressions)

Nkoli coomac at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:22:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Carlo E. Prelz <fluido at fluido.as> wrote:

> My complaint is that it would be difficult for me to put my hands into
> the default apps. They are C++, QT, and expectedly using enough of
> those creepy C++-isms (possibly, even those yecchy templates or
> whereabouts). I would be comfortable with tinkering with C&GTK main
> apps. On the other hand, I would find C++&QT main apps closed boxes (I
> perfectly know that I could very well write C/Ruby new code on the
> OM).
>
> From this statement, one would think that you don't use _any_ applications
written in C++ or Qt for the simple reason that you can't tinker with the
code. I am sure this is not the case. You use the applications written in
C++/Qt and play with those written in the languages you're comfortable with
or you write your own from scratch. Right now OM needs more new apps than it
needs shipped apps taken apart (which will probably be done by a number of
people anyway).

Refusing to get the phone because you dislike the languages the shipped apps
are written in, not because it prevents anyone from coding in the languages
they prefer or that any of the applications are proprietary is beyond
ridiculous. To each their own though. Good luck getting that perfect phone
that ships with C and GTK apps and also lets you code in any language you
want.