Standardizing data store across toolkits (SMS, PIM data, playlist, etc)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed May 21 15:27:15 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 12:04:40 Samuel Melrose wrote:
> Sorry to stick my nose in on this, especially if I'm missing something.
> But do you guys have anything decided about this, and what it is all
> going to be stored on? May I suggest using SQLite for the data
> storage? It is very lightweight, not much ram or processor use needed,
> unlike parsing big XML files... and I'm sure it'd be easy implemented
> in the core libraries? Because this way, other applications could read
> from these data-stores directly, or there could be a standardized API
> for applications to access that could make the information available
> in these open formats =].

This is one of subjects eventually being topic of the framework initiative.
Right now, we have a google SoC project underway that aims to produce a dbus
API and a demo-dbus PIM storage daemon to realize this. I'd be happy to
discuss this further on openmoko-devel at lists.openmoko.org or
smartphones-standards at linuxtogo.org together with the GSoC student Sören
Abraxa and his mentor Michael Dietrich. The current state of affairs can be
read @ http://www.neo1973-germany.de/wiki/pyPimd

> Not sure if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree here... so please
> correct me if I am wrong....

Not at all, this is very important -- even more so if we want to realize a
multicultural (UI toolkit, language, you name it) application environment.

:M: