clarification of Qtopia Vs. GTK

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu May 22 01:47:29 CEST 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 22:51:47 +0200 Michele Renda <michele.renda at gmail.com>
babbled:

> Hi Michael,
> I think you and your team are doing a courageous but good choose.
> I ask only that if in the future this choose will limit Openmoko
> openess, you will "protect" us!
> A lot of people that are afraid that Nokia, as owner of Trolltech, can
> be against Openmoko freedom, but I think you are not stupid and you know
> what are you doing.

at WORST nokia can close off FUTURE qt/qtopia/qpe releases or make it a license
we cannot stomach - we can still ship what they have today as it is available
as GPL. if that were to ever happen we'd ship what they have before a license
change or closing-off of the code and not upgrade. in the longer-term of course
that software is dead weight, but it'd "do for now" until it gets replaced. i
don't see a lot fear unless we are banking the WHOLE platform on it. as it
stands we are delivering qt and qtopia/qpe as part of a set of applications.
the platform is heterogeneous and has multiple toolkits available for use and
developers may choose whichever suits them best. we dont limit you to the one
choice that we made (beyond using x11 - but even then you are free to modify
the core os, remove x11 and do your own entire ui yourself... if you want).