Mapless GPS

Carl Snellman carl.snellman at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:48:28 CEST 2008

Hey Stroller,

> I _really_ want to see an Openmoko application where you can just choose a
> contact and have your position sent to them by text message. When their
> Freerunner receives the message it automagically opens a GPS application
> that points to your position - this would be SO useful for meeting up with
> friends, finding a party or a bar or whatever, joining them at a deserted
> picnic spot in the woods. I wrote about this before
> <http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-April/016318.html> and I
> see no need for something more complicated than a "GPS compass" display like
> this.

Just FYI, I'm actually in process of registering well-known SMS ports
for this purpose with IANA, so that interoperability between devices
would be facilitated. If we get the registration through, there would
be two known ports: port X for receiving someones location, and port Y
for receiving a location request from someone.

Below is the email I originally sent to IANA. All comments are welcome!

I also though about getting TCP/UDP ports registered for the same
purposes, but there the biggest problem is identification and
authentication of the sender. With SMS, MSISDN can be quite reliably
used for identifying the sender, but no such identifier exists in
TCP/UDP world. Let me know if you have any ideas/comments on this!

Carl Snellman
Nokia, Inc.