Calculate cardinal points from GPS?

Philippe Guillebert phyce at rez-gif.supelec.fr
Thu May 22 21:15:00 CEST 2008

f4lken wrote:
> I think that a GPS receive some information about cardinal point... So
> it will be more simple to read these information than calculate some
> difference... But, as I say, I'm not sure :(
Hi,

No, it doesn't...The way to calculate bearing is to derivate your
position over time to get a speed vector (Vx, Vy). You can then
calculate the angle that vector form with North (simple trigonometry)
and calculate current bearing (in degrees) or show a compass (same thing
in a different referential).

The thing is, it works only if you're moving.

--
Phyce