Does the ASU resolve the Qtopia license issue?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat May 24 12:06:53 CEST 2008

On Saturday 24 May 2008, Bin Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I know, Qtopia phone edition is not free if we get the full
> functioned version! The commercial use should pay fee to Trolltech. Is
> it OK for Openmoko?
>
> Thanks.
> Bin

This was true, but last September Trolltech changed the licensing to include
GPL v2.

"To coincide with the porting of Qtopia to this open platform, Trolltech is
also announcing that for the first time Qtopia Phone Edition--and all its
components--will be completely available under both the open source GPL
license (version 2) and a commercial development license. Until now some
Qtopia components, like the telephony, DRM and the safe execution environment
software stacks, were only available under the commercial development
license. The full open source release of Qtopia Phone Edition is the latest
example of Trolltech’s longstanding commitment to its dual licensing model
that combines the best of commercial and open source software development."

http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.2007-09-17.9260755578