Freerunner v. HTC v. ....

Robert Taylor robtaylor at tinsputnik.com
Sat May 24 20:58:17 CEST 2008

Steven Le Roux wrote:

> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Federico Lorenzi <florenzi at gmail.com
> <mailto:florenzi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Al Johnson
>     <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
>     <mailto:openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>> wrote:
>     > Comparing with the FreeRunner hardware wiki page:
>     > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_GTA02_Hardware
>     >
>     > Comms: Freerunner only has GSM/GPRS triband.
>     > Connectivity: WiFi equal, Freerunner has Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
>     > CPU: same core and clock
>     > Camera: Freerunner doesn't have one
>     > Memory: Freerunner has double the RAM and double the ROM
>     > Memory card: Equal
>     > Screen: same size, Freerunner is 480x640 but has no keyboard.
>     > Weight: Similar? Freerunner 110g without battery, battery weight
>     not quoted.
>     > Size: Similar, but different shape. Freerunner is 120.7 x 62 x
>     18.5 mm
>     > Battery: Freerunner has 1200mAh
>     >
>     > USB host mode: only Freerunner. I don't know of another phone
>     that has this.
>     > GPS: only Freerunner
>     >
>     > media decode/3D: both have the hardware and neither do much with
>     it yet.
>     > Openmoko have been open about exactly what the capabilities are,
>     while HTC
>     > were rather evasive when customers started questioning the media
>     performance.
>     > There are other phones that are better in this area.
>     You left out the ability to connect to a phone that has HSDPA / 3g (in
>     my case the Nokia E51) via Bluetooth or USB, and use it as a modem :)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Federico
>

> and we are talking about a "phone"... so the camera... is clearly NOT
> a priority for a first phone;..
>
> fortunately there is no keyboard ;) ! or where's the point with the
> touchscreen...
>

> --
> Steven Le Roux
> Jabber-ID : Steven at jabber.fr <mailto:Steven at jabber.fr>

If you can type as fast on a touch screen as I can on a properly sized
thumb keyboard,  you are a magician.

A keyboard is an absolute must of anyone seriously wanting to have text
input.

Touch screens are only feasable for single click/move/drag types of
problem domains ... say for example scrolling through a picture gallery.

- Robert