Qtopia Vs. GTK or both?

t3st3r t3st3r at mail.ru
Sat May 24 22:25:26 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: "rakshat hooja" <rakshat at gmail.com>
To: community at lists.openmoko.org
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 18:17:03 +0530
Subject: Qtopia Vs. GTK or both?

> I am not to sure how many  people have seen the Neo software stack diagram
> on the wiki but after looking at it there really should not be a GTK Vs
> Qtopia argument any more. But I do wonder how Android fits in?
As for me, I'm preferring to have both GTK and QT based apps on board.Both suites have cool apps.So, on desktop system I use best apps from both suites.Dunno see strong reasons why this can't happen on mobile devices.Furthermore, Nokia goes this way with their n8x0 tablets and as a device owner I like this step.

P.S. as far as I understand, Android just a java-based crap which ONLY uses Linux as low-level engine, without any native apps or UI frameworks like QT or GTK.Hence it is pretty useless that it runs Linux and I see no real reasons why Android will be better than "dumb dialers" running proprietary OS + J2ME on top.Linux has quite little use if there will be no real fully-featured apps to use it's power and Dalvik VM is actually, proprietary.From another side, being able to run Android\J2ME apps in addition to lightweight, fast and featured native apps is a benefit which can turn device into a powerful competitor on "smart phones" market.