My experience with the Freerunner

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Tue May 27 06:27:05 CEST 2008

ian douglas wrote:
> With the ASU software, with no power saving at all, I placed a phone
> call to my Freerunner with a T-Mobile SIM from an AT&T phone. There was
> no audio, just two phones sitting side by side. The next morning, of
> course, the Freerunner was completely drained (my AT&T phone was plugged
> into its charger). The phone call lasted 3 hours and 52 minutes -- just
> shy of 4 full hours.
>
> I'm running another test right now with power saving turned on (dimming,
> no locking), to see if that has any additional impact on call life.

To follow up, the second phone call hung up after 3 hours and 54 minutes
-- only a two minute saving, but the Freerunner's battry icon still
showed lots of power available, instead of being completely drained like
my test with power saving turned off.

Since the call ended about the same amount of time as my test last night
(236 minutes vs 234 minutes), I'm curious if either AT&T or TMobile
simply kill a phone call just shy of 4 hours of talk time to free up
their network.

To solve that riddle, I'll try both my AT&T SIM card and TMobile SIM
card in the Freerunner and call it from my Vonage VoIP line, see if I
can narrow down what killed the call.

My speculation at this point is that the 3 hour 52 minute call last
night that drained my battery might not have drained the Freerunner's
battery completely, but that the phone just ran out of power at some
point after the phone call because power saving was turned off.

Stay tuned,
Ian Douglas