Neo as cellular modem?

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu May 29 11:31:30 CEST 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 08:59:10 +0200, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

> We're helpless unless Atheros decided to implement Master mode in their
> closed firmware.  Unfortunately the power advantages of having the bulk
> of the ieee80211 actions managed in the firmware are pretty compelling
> so I don't know how we get out of that bind.

The very knowledge that we can't do something that the hardware would
technically be capable of is annoying, but I don't really see why we would
need to implement a true AP in the phone. For any reasonable use case I
can think of, ad-hoc mode should be enough. The only usability advantage
of being an AP would be that it can send beacon packets that allow other
devices to detect an available network, but sending beacon would be a
battery drain anyway.