A disturbance in the force?

Marc-Olivier Barre marco at marcochapeau.org
Thu May 29 15:38:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Ian Darwin <ian at darwinsys.com> wrote:
> Once today, while my FreeRunner was plugged in on USB, I tapped the screen
> to wake it up, and it came up, but all the pixels in text were jiggly, as
> though the screen were being refreshed at the wrong rate. When I called up
> the qwerty keyboard, it appeared quite scrambled.
> Sadly I didn't have a video camera trained on it at the time, and by the
> time I whipped out my pocket video camera, it had gone into suspend mode;
> when I hit the power button to awaken it, the problem was gone!
>
> I know it's not my eyesight :-) This really happened. But only once.
>
> I'll make sure I have the video camera handy in case it comes back,
> although, recording a 640x480 video of the freerunner will be pretty grainy
> and probably won't accurately show the problem (due to things like refresh
> rates)... Sigh.

I think I see what you mean.

the same thing happens on my Asus laptop (ATI X700 graphic card) when
I switch from the console to X. Sometimes the screen appears like what
you'll get when using the wrong refresh rate on a CRT screen.
switching again to and from a console makes it go away. Never knew
what was causing it though.

Driver issue or X issue ?...

Regards,