multi-tutch?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu May 29 19:16:17 CEST 2008

On to, 2008-05-29 at 17:20 +0200, Bastian Muck wrote:
> I have a little idea. Imagine, you put your finger somewhere on the
> right side of the screen. The "average" point is also somewhere at the
> right side. When you put another finger e.g. at the left side the
> "average" point jumps somewhere to the middle. This "jump" is where we
> could guess, that at least two fingers touch the screen.

Yes, this idea has been bounced around on the IRC at least (not to
belittle you coming up with it also :] ). One could indeed do limited
multi-touch emulation, recognizing quick drags and extrapolating the
position of the second finger to be at the point twice the distance from
the drag startpoint as the drag endpoint. AFAIK nobody is actually doing
that and it has its limits as you indicate (no way to reliably know
which finger is moving after the dual-tap and such); however, the way is
clear for somebody interested to experiment...

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki