My experience with the Freerunner

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu May 29 23:35:23 CEST 2008

Am Do  29. Mai 2008 schrieb ian douglas:
> I think that knowing a "best case scenario" (where you stay in the same
> location), you get about 6 hours of talk time, is still helpful. Cell
> phone manufacturers typically report a "best case scenario" when
> reporting talk time and standby time, with the legalese and fine print
> stating that "your results may vary" from their data.
>
> Thoughts?

I think *not* moving for all tests (and different types of cellphones to
compare) is near a "best case" scenario for standby time - anyway place some
sensitive radio or the like near the phone, to hear the typical interference
noise when it is sending, just to make sure you don't sit on a "bad spot"
where the phone changes cell every few minutes.

For "best case" talktime scenarios the distance to basestation is much more
important. Here you should check for *very* good RF-signal, means very near
to BS and thus allowing the phone-transmitter to power down to lowest level.

Also note that GSM without simcard is constantly reselecting cells, so energy
consumption is really bad. Switch off GSM when not registering to a network.
/jOERG