Private data protection.

Ilja O. vrghost at gmail.com
Fri May 30 11:13:02 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Christoph Fink
<buffoon at buffoon.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Ilja O. wrote:
>>
>> 1) Auth using PIN number (this requires encrypted image presence in
>> phone file system by it's boot time end -- not reallyl convenient if
>> SD card is used).
>>

> IMO encrypting Data with the PIN Number is not such a good thing, because
> the possibilities of different keys are definately not high (max 8 digits,
> only numbers). A better solution would be to save the PIN on the encrypted
> storage and automatically read it.

I don't see point in making secure protection from somebody that has
stolen phone to obtain your data, since anything that phones' CPU will
be able to encrypt/decrypt without draining battery much faster than
it should be. I'm telling about making protection from phone thief,
that simply has stolen your phone and is now trying to power it up and
obtain any easily accessible plain data. And for this aim almost any
encryption will do.

To protect yourself from data thiefs the best way, imho, would be to
program a daemon that wipes out all phone memory when phone receives
an SMS message with predefined contents.