My experience with the Freerunner

Bastian Muck bastian.muck at gmx.de
Fri May 30 15:18:53 CEST 2008

ian douglas schrieb:
| Thanks for your thoughts, Marco.
|

| Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
|> I agree, and we can't ask you more than testing like you're doing.
|
| As of today I have 165 minutes remaining of my 1,000 minute TMobile
SIM card, so I'll have to restock it to do any more tests. I think
TMobile still has their "1000-minutes for $100" special going on, so
I'll stock up later this evening.
Wow, phoning is really expensive at your location. When you do some more
tests it might be cheaper to make holidays in e.g. germany. I pay 30 € /
month and can call  T-Mobile and  landline as much as I want to. If I
had a Freerunner then I would support you.  But there is a little
problem with this. :-(

|> The only thing I'm asking to you, Ian, is to report the GSM signal
strength in your testing zone, just to complete the informations you've
already given.

| Fair enough. I'll report on that when I get home as my office building
is probably more shielded than my apartment. I live near the beach, no
mountains to really speak of, and my AT&T phone, which was always
showing EDGE connectivity at my old apartment always shows
full-bandwidth "3G" at the new apartment, which is partly why I wanted
to do some testing around my old apartment.

|> Anyway, I'll appreciate so much if another one of the lucky
Freerunner owners could make a battery test (also just a "standby" one)
in a place with low GSM coverage...

| As soon as my Freerunner is back to full-charge, I'll try to emulate
Einstein's standby tests with all 4 components (GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth,
GPS) turned on, then off, and report my own findings. I'll try to do it
with both SIM cards, if that makes any difference, and without any SIM
at all -- I'm curious if having no SIM card will emulate "low GSM
coverage" with the phone trying to constantly register on a network.

| Since I have 5,000 evening/weekend minutes with AT&T, once I fill up
my TMobile card again, I'll take my Freerunner and Blackjack 2 on
errands this weekend, see if I can spend more than 6 hours connecting
the two phones again in varying locations around Los Angeles.

| If anyone else has suggestions on how to test battery life, I'd love
to hear them. Especially from Michael and Steve, as they can probably
direct us a little better on what kinds of real-life scenario testing
they'd like us to help in.

| I'm going to see if I can write a CPU-intensive script to run on the
Freerunner too, see if I can time how long the battery will last with
the CPU running 100% ... again, just a curiosity.