AW: multi-touch?

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Fri May 30 16:06:11 CEST 2008

Am Fr  30. Mai 2008 schrieb Fabian Off:
> Hey!
>
> How does synaptics handle this? When I look at the output my touchpad does,
I can see "X Y Fingers" Values... Maybe we could look into this code and see
how they do detect the amount of fingers? Dunno whether they work nearly the
same, but I believe this could maybe point us into the right direction :)

> Only my idea... 2-finger-scrolling is so great!

To the best of my knowledge, at least MY synaptics in front of me right now is
a capacitive type, and even this one doesn't support multitouch right now
(though maybe a driver issue).
Please google or wp for capacitive vs resistive ts! Our 4-wire resistive type
ts is a device as dumb as bread, NO silicon inside. You simply can't do muto
with such device in a reasonable straight way. How do you get info of
X1,Y1,X2,Y2 out of a device with 4 ANALOG connectors (GND incl!)??? It may be
feasible, but it's rather tricky and needs quite some special hw AROUND the
silicon-free ts.
There's a way to detect the "surrounding square" of _all_ touchpoints on a
4w-R-ts, at least with GTA02 i think. You may use this to detect there's more
than one touchpoint. Still you have no correct data for the coords of the 2
(or 3?) points.

Maybe eventually I'll write a little article on it - so I don't have to repeat
myself all the time ;-)

/j