2.5mm or 3.5mm

michael at crosscode.org michael at crosscode.org
Fri May 30 17:04:44 CEST 2008

 	2.5mm, definitely - but *not* the 4 contact 2.5mm used on the GTA01.
Wired headsets for phone use give *far* better quality than any bluetooth
headset I've used with the exception of maybe the jawbone. I talk about
4000 minutes/month on my phone so the convenience of being able to buy almost
any headset on the market far outweighs (for me) the convenience of using any
stereo earphones on the market. For stereo audio I'm far more likely to use
bluetooth A2DP than wired headphones.

 	As for how common they are, 2.5mm phone headsets are the most common by
far. After that comes the 2.5mm 4-contact headsets (which nokia used for a
long time). Then come the various proprietary connectors - but almost any
third party wired headset is available with a 2.5mm 3-contact connector.
They *do* have 3.5mm headsets, but they tend to be very large and not have as
much variety because they're designed for people to use at a desktop computer
for things like dictation or skype where size doesn't matter.

- Michael

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:

> 2.5mm.
> If you want to buy some earphones for a mobile, than you will get only some
> with 2.5mm connectors.
>
> Thomas
>
> Am Freitag 30 Mai 2008 09:35:36 schrieb Rahul Joshi:
>> Exactly. 3.5mm for the same reason.
>> Are there any tangible benefits to using 2.5mm though?
>>
>> Rahul J
>>
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Richard Reichenbacher <
>>
>> richard5 at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>>> 3.5mm.  I'd rather be able to take any headphones I have laying around
>>> and use them for music.  If I wanted a headset I would buy a Bluetooth
>>> headset.

>>> jOERG