using the openmoko neo101 in mass storage mode

Matt Mets matt.mets at cibomahto.com
Fri May 30 20:53:29 CEST 2008

I believe this has been discussed at some point, but there is a
file-storage module that emulates a mass storage device:
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html

I don't see it included in the preview ASU package, but it should be
trivial to build separately.

The issue (that I see, anyway) is that it requires exclusive access to
the drive that it uses for the storage.  I think the cleanest way to
handle that would be to format a partition on the SD card with a
suitable filesystem (Fat32).  This would then be normally be mounted on
the Neo, and used for storing media files and extra user data.  When you
want to connect to the PC to transfer songs or whatever, you run a
utility that unmounts the drive from the linux side, switches off the
USB ethernet gadget and switches on the file-storage gadget, with this
device as its target.  Then you can plug it into a PC and do whatever,
and when you are done you simply use the utility to switch back to the
previous configuration.

The downside to this method is that you wouldn't get access to the root
filesystem, and Neo applications woudn't have access to the drive while
it was being shared (so you couldn't play songs while you were
downloading them).  Also, it would probably be tricky to share PIM data
this way, because you wouldn't want to turn off the dialer program :-D.

Cheers,
Matt