2.5 or 3.5mm?

Lasse Poulsen admin at silenzio.dk
Sat May 31 12:28:28 CEST 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:19:18 -0700
Ajit Natarajan <ajitk at email.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to the world of cell phones, so please bear with me.
> And, I am not trying to start a flame.
>
> I have a corded phone and a cordless phone.  I purchased a wired
> headset from a local store that fits both of them.  It has one 2.5mm
> plug.
>
> My laptop and desktop PCs feature two 3.5mm sockets.  I purchased
> a wired headset from the same store that has two 3.5mm plugs, one
> for the microphone and one for the earpiece.
>
> From the discussion, it appears that neither one will work on
> the GTA03.  I would need to purchase an adapter or a harder to find
> single 3.5mm plug headset.
>
> I thought that the GTA03 was first and foremost a phone, then a music
> player or other device.  So, in my opinion, it should be optimized
> for a phone.

This really is the essence of the discussion, is Neo a MP3 player with
phone capability or verse vica?

In my experience the only one who makes good 2.5mm plug on stereo
headsets is Nokia, and a majority of those have some kind of
communication to the phone device to initiate it, so it might not me
usable on Neo!

The rest of the headset connectors seem to be either USB or some
proprietary connector (eg. the once on SonyEricsson).
But this really depends on what cellular phones is popular in your
local area.

> I would prefer not to use bluetooth because I want to avoid any
> kind of radiation near the head.  And, others have mentioned that
> the quality and interoperability of bluetooth headsets are poor.

Like i have said before, here in Denmark it is illegal to use a wired
headset in your car - as well as using a phone without headset is.

> Please optimize for easily available accessories.  Do not assume
> that everyone is adept at using a soldering iron.

Personally i think it is more important to optimize to the best rather
than early access. This is a phone in development, and not yet a
production device.

If no one you know of in your area have any soldering skills, i have no
problem soldering one and sending it to where ever you are. That
goes for everyone else as well. Once the phone is publicly available
(non development) you will properly be able to bye one at your local
radioshack.

- Lasse