Private data protection.

Rahul Joshi rjoshi31 at gmail.com
Sat May 31 19:00:10 CEST 2008

1. This is exactly why thieves dump the SIM in the first place. To avoid
getting SIM tracked, which is the quickest & easiest.
2. IMEI tracking is as you said involves paperwork but which makes keeping a
stolen phone of no use to anyone. Cops use this (in tandem with carriers) to
track offenders if you have filed a complaint and mentioned the IMEI no.
(which is also printed on every retail box)

Which is why the primary concern here is the "data" and not the phone
itself. IMO, the better way, as with all things, is encryption.

Rahul J