2.5mm or 3.5mm

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat May 31 23:35:57 CEST 2008

Am Sa  31. Mai 2008 schrieb Mike Montour:
> Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
> > your link: that's it
> > Thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving this link
>
> If you do choose a 4-pin 3.5mm connector to be compatible with iPhone
> (or with another major vendor), please double-check that you use the
> same pin assignments. This forum post:
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5262651
>
> says that the iPhone plug uses: tip=R, ring1=L, ring2=Common, sleeve=Mic
> (which is not what I would have guessed).

WAAH, they're NOT compatible to usual headphones which have tip1=L 2=R,
(3)=4=GND.
3=GND, 4=mic makes their HS inoperable with any usual Walkman, though you
still can use Walkman HP on their IPhone (the jack shorts 3 + 4).
base4 is sleeve = shielding by definition and by design of jacks, so this is a
bad choice for mic signal :-(((
What a crap is THIS?

Our design goal is to be compatible to classic 3.5mm headphones at very first,
(while still supporting full mic functionality for HS) so at least left and
right won't be connected the way apple does.

In fact we already did and will follow / stay close to:
Nokia AV-connector spec.
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/resources/technologies/connectivity/av_connector.html
and maybe augment this.

/j