[Om2008.9] PIN && PUK

f0rdprefect matthias.berse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:59:19 CET 2008

Hi There,

Matthias Apitz wrote:

> So, one should store the PUK somehow obfuscated in the FR, for exmaple
> in a comment tag of some big HTML file from where you just grep it out
> in that moment :-)

this sparked a completely different idea. So ok the freerunner and openmoko
will become a smartphone eventually. Why not store this kind of information
in an encrypted keychain? Let it be up to the user to do so, but there could
be something like the keychain I get on e.g. ubuntu desktop. Even more one
could also automate the input of the PIN after authorizing oneself via
passphrase. If the user would fail, still the PIN could be supplied (might
be easier in emergency situations), but a passphrase may or may not be a
much better way of authorization...

So my question is, did somebody already come up with an idea like this, so I
could contribute or test? If not I would at least rephrase my  idea a bit
and search for a place in the wiki where it fits...

Cheers,

Matthias