[QtExtended] Synchronizing contacts from Kontact in KDE4 ?

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 11:41:43 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 10:49:25 Alastair Johnson wrote:
> Chris Samuel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know if it is currently possible to set up any form of
> > synchronisation to/from Kontact in KDE4 and QT Extended ?
> >
> > Currently I just grab my contacts in VCF3 format and scp them over,
> > but then I noticed the synchronisation agent, but looking at the docs it
> > appears it only supports MS Outlook on Windoze.. :-(
> >
> > http://doc.trolltech.com/qtextended4.4/qtopiadesktop/over-desktop-
> > synchronization-1.html
> >
> > Anyone know of a way of (ab)using this (or any other system) to sync to
> > and from Kontact ?
>
> http://doc.trolltech.com/qtextended4.4/qtopiadesktop/task-add-a-new-desktop
>-plugin-1.html
>
> The outlook plugin is the only one written so far, but there's nothing
> to stop someone writing a sync agent for kontact, evolution or whatever.

As I mentioned in the "Funambol" threat, there is already a tool which can
synchronise via SyncML, but it was written for Qtopia-4.3.1 so someone might
have to look at it ..

Wait, here is the text of the older post:

I guess this is an open secret already, but just in case someone wants to have
a synchronisation solution which uses SyncML:

https://code.launchpad.net/~sasch-pe/+junk/qtopia-ds

This tool can be used to sync your appointments, tasks and contacts with any
SyncML capable server or web-services (my.funambol.com, ...). The current
solution was written against and tested with Qtopia-4.3.1, it is known to
compile and run with Qtopia-4.4.0 (and probably QtExtended) but there are
issues in the backend I used (Funambol C++ Client API), so if somebody wants
to step up, I would be glad to offer some help :-) And of course I'd like to
see it integrated somehow into one of those OpenMoko distros.

--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com