USB Networking

Denis Johnson denis.johnson at
Thu Nov 6 10:46:41 CET 2008

I have had this setting for months it does not work for me.

Whenever I want to connect my FR, I must first plug it in into the usb
and then run the following script which someone once posted here or on
the #openmoko irc. Until I run ths script I cannot ping and hence ssh
into the FR. Unfortunately I don't know enough to integrate and
automate what the script does into my interfaces file. If someone can
shed some more light, it would be appreciated:

# Enables Hostside USB-Networking for neo
ifconfig usb0 down
ifconfig usb0 netmask up
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
route add -host gw
route -n | grep -e "Destination" -e "usb0"

cheers Denis