Re: Re: GPG for SMS?

rhn rhn at o2.pl
Sat Nov 8 12:42:16 CET 2008

Od: Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi>
> rhn <rhn at o2.pl> writes:
> > About calls - I remember I saw a documentary in which the calls
> > interfered with TV sets, which allowed to hear the
> > conversations. That would imply unencrypted.
>
> That sounds quite unlikely, even if you had configured your GSM to
> send the data without encryption how would your analog TV set
> decompress the digital (and compressed) audio stream?

It might have been a hoax as well. If I remember it right, it was the operator's fault. From the video footage, only some words were understandable.
On the other hand, I remember watching "encoded" audio + video from a locked channel with a satellite tuner. The quality is *very* poor, but it can be understood at times.

I believe nowadays TV sets are sold with the circuitry to decode digital data (the switching to digital land infrastructure), but I don't remember if it was the case there.