RESEND(Wrong Thread): IMAGE/MP3 licensing issue.

Chris Samuel chris at
Thu Nov 13 20:23:49 CET 2008

----- "Wolfgang Spraul" <wolfgang at> wrote:

> The short story is that we are in a protracted battle with some patent
> trolls. Google for Sisvel.

Best of luck folks! :-(

It's worth bearing in mind that Alcatel appear to own patents
on MP3 too as they recently got US$1.5 billion in damages from
Microsoft for infringement of them..

# Those companies already had their share of unpleasant
# surprises when they were forced to pay Sisvel,
# Philips’ licensing arm, for Philip’s mp3 patents. Most of
# them paid the license fee, adding to the manufacturing costs
# of consumer electronics. That made Alcatel’s attorney tell
# the US jury: "We invented it and everybody else is making
# money off of it."

More trouble than it's worth I think.  So glad we've got Ogg,
Vorbis, Theora and FLAC!

 Chris Samuel  :  :  Melbourne, VIC