The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 08:20:11 CET 2008

On 14 Nov 2008, at 13:11, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> We have decided to make changes to the hardware only incrementally,
> along product lines of our current chip vendors whenever possible, so
> that as much as possible of the software effort can carry over. We
> have decided to focus our internal software engineering on the low
> level, so that we leverage our insider knowledge about the hardware
> and schematics, while relying on the larger Free Software community to
> help with higher-level software.

Working yourselves on the Glamo may not fit with the goal to focus on
the product lines to be used on FUTURE Openmoko devices.

Nevertheless I would urge you not to neglect the Glamo which, after
all, does fit within the goal to "focus your internal software
engineering on the low level".

If you neglect working drivers for this hardware you run the risk of
having a huge installed base of users who have bought the Freerunner
and who feel stitched-up and alienated when you release GTA03. If you
release GTA03 and our Freerunners show lacking in the graphics
(animations, menus, Exposé, transparency) departments, then that's how
we're going to feel.

The Glamo might not be relevant to your future models, but ignoring it
would make a huge statement to those who have bought Freerunners.

Personally, one of my reasons for buying Openmoko is that the vendor
of my last phone decided it was a lame duck and stopped supporting it
after 6 months. I buy open-source because it should guarantee a long
future of product-support.

Having said that, I thought one of your engineers was already working
on Glamo or XGlamo or whatever is required to use the chip's hardware
acceleration. It would be good for Openmoko to reaffirm its commitment
to that, to offer goals for getting it working & timeframes in which
these will be achieved.

Stroller.