Will there be a hardware revision for the buzzing issue?

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:07:36 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Am Mo  17. November 2008 schrieb robert lazarski:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm about to buy an openmoko, as I finally have some time and cash.
>> However, my understanding is that the latest phones for sale have a
>> buzzing issue and its confirmed to be hardware related. Will there be
>> a hardware revision? Or I'm a stuck using a soldering iron and new
>> parts to fix it? Please correct me if I'm misinformed.
>
> We are actually in the process to figure out how to fix *all* devices sold, by
> implementing the so-called "big-C" fix (which means add a 100uF, replace one
> R), which can be done by those experienced in soldering. Not yet clear where
> this will end, but we're on it.
>
> Very next thing is we will publish a rework SOP paper.
>
> Also see other answer in this thread.
>
> cheers
> jOERG

Thanks for the info. While I'm good at soldering, I'd prefer to wait
for an "A7" revision if that happens. Searching the hardware archives
mentioned there might be one:

http://www.mail-archive.com/hardware@lists.openmoko.org/msg00696.html

I realize it may take a while. I'm guessing A7, if it happens, may
also have other updates which may help some other issues of the phone.
Looking at the hardware wiki, I see no list of confirmed or even
suspected hardware issues. My interest in openmoko is kernel and
bootloader related, and there's just somethings that can't be fixed in
hardware despite the steady stream of patches I see on the kernel
list. So I'm unclear if some issues like suspend, battery life amd
missed calls are perhaps hardware issues? Just trying to make an
informed choice between buying now or later.

Best regards,
Robert