Minty Boost && FreeRunner

Tilman Baumann tilman at
Thu Nov 20 15:28:12 CET 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Thursday, November 20, 2008 a las 02:04:22PM +0100, Tilman Baumann escribió:
>> Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>> What would be the bennefit of this? I'm not an electronic guy anymore
>>> :-(
>> 1A charging out of the box with no software needed.
> Here is what the Wiki page says:
>     «DIY external battery pack from a Minty case
>     Mintyboost:
>     Charge from a couple of AA batteries: Minty Boost!, report on a Neo
>     FreeRunner application.
>     Adding the 47k resistor to the minty boost so that the Freerunner fast
>     charges at 1A is a poor idea for a couple reasons, the biggest one being
>     that the minty boost can't supply 1A the max is 600mA.

Ups, that's a pitty. I did not anticipate this.

>     Even if the Linear Technology step up voltage converter is supposed to
>     be able to do 600mA, the AA cells seem to have a problem with supplying
>     500mA. They get a little toasty :-). One powerpack built using D cells
>     doesn't seem to have any issues with supplying 500mA.»
Well, Batteries usually put out a great much of current without
suffering too much.
I could not find any specifications (which of course vary) on a short
notice, but I don't think that 5W (plus a little bit loss in the
converter) is too much.

Maybe we just need to make a heavy duty mintyboost with a bigger

> My FR switches outomagically to 1A charging mode, but maybe it's better
> to only use 500mA

Probably. The reports of hearing the converter when it is under load
support this.