Calling interested Glamo OpenGL developers (was: The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL)

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 09:09:15 CET 2008

2008/11/21 Lally Singh <lally.singh at gmail.com>:
> As Raster's already pushed hard on Glamo acceleration, and I know he's
> quite capable (I was an old enlightenment WM user back in the day), I
> consider the glamo issue closed.  We're stuck with what we have, and
> simply have to find ways to be efficient with what what's already
> there.

Yes, efficiency, but let's remember the stable-tracking kernel has
Glamo core clock boosted from 50MHz to 80MHz with some wait states
disabled - it also does bring additional performance to play with /
optimize for. And I don't know what where the exact details for some
big (?) wait state somewhere in the driver that was earlier hoped to
be gotten ridden of, but which turned out not to be easy?

Something, somehow, is anyway hopefully fixable in addition to
boosting the clock speeds, since the CPU usage of using Glamo seems
quite ridiculous at times.

> I'm taking a protective role for the community in all this.  IMHO the
> community's what makes the OM phone interesting.  I'd rather not see
> well-intentioned hackers spend long months on a venture with little
> likely return.

This is something that depends on what the mentioned hackers want to
do. It's not anyone else's job to tell others how to spend their free
time. And also "little return" is quite relative. As for QVGA Glamo 3D
support, I think it would be really worthwhile not only to have it,
but to have the possibility to try out eg. Clutter-based applications
during GTA02 lifeframe. It would benefit a lot also the future
generations of Openmoko hardware.

> By the time the GTA03's entering its lifetime, hopefully there should
> be some good options available.  I like the idea of one or more vector
> units..

I'm hoping that with the openness on the desktop side - AMD, Intel,
Via and XGI, it cannot be indefinitely until there is also mobile
graphics chipsets available with open documentation. It's not that
much more special and on the desktop side you have already basically
"everybody but one vendor" (nvidia).

-Timo