I/O problems with SD card

Евгений Карякин anthropophagite at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 23:45:18 CET 2008

Hello!

   This is my first time of booting from MicroSD card since before
this time I flashed several distributions onto internal flash. I
downloaded FSO milestone 4.1 and put that on Transcend 2Gb flash: made
two partitions, kernel 2Mb vfat and remaining for rootfs ext2,
formatted it accordingly (mkfs vfat and ext2) and copied file on them,
that means, followed http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD
instructions. Nevertheless booting from SD failed, I chose a
corresponding menu item from NOR loader (load from SD fat+ext2) and
started to receive multiple error messages:

# right after load start
s3c2410_udc: debugfs dir creation failed -19

# next lines mixed with each other
mmcblk0: error -110 sending read/write command
EXT2-fs error (device mmcblk0p2) ex2_get_inode: unable to read inode
block - inode=12345 block=67890
Buffer I/O error on device mmcblk0p2, logical block 0
# and partial success messages among them

   Plus multiple Input/Output errors while reading /etc/rc.d/* files
and writing to /etc/volatile or something.
   This is how Freerunner sees my card:

Card type: SD 2.0
Manufacturer: 0x1b, OEM "SM"
Product name: "00000", revision 1.0
Serial number: 1234567890
Manufacturing date: 7/2008
MMC/SD size: 511 MiB

   Thinking a card may be broken, I did check all files on it like that:

find /mnt -depth -type f -exec md5sum \{\} \;

   And several files resulted in Input/Output errors. Aha! Then I
"initialized" my card with

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/mmcblk0p2 bs=32768 count=62150

   Then issued mkfs again and untarred rootfs second time. Checked
again -- none of the files reported an error. Still Neo can't read
many files on a card, especially in /etc/ . All SD card preparation
operations were made on a notebook with built-in card reader.
   Does anybody experienced any troubles with MicroSD cards like the
abovementioned ones?