Freerunner's GSM Calypso Modem Firmware Upgrade...

Shawn Thompson mokowatch at
Sun Nov 23 18:06:58 CET 2008

> On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 14:01 +0100, Jacob Peterson wrote:
> > The flash worked without a hitch for me and now I am able to use a
> > Vodafone prepaid SIM in my 850MHz unit while back in Europe.  I am
> > running Om2008.9 with the 20081023 FDOM modifications applied.
> >
> > Great job!
> >
> > -Jacob
> > community at
> >
> --
> William Kenworthy <billk at>
> Home in Perth!

I also ran the upgrade using instructions on the wiki page and the console
only distro, great writeup, worked perfectly. I had no problems with sim
issues so I didn't see a difference there but I did notice that the phone
actually appeared to register faster to the T-Mobile tower in my area by a
large amount. I used to have to wait about 30-60 seconds after the phone
finished the boot process and was at the graphical interface but that
problem has dissappeared now. Took about 5 seconds after having the icons
appear to register, great work, my kudos to all the OM developers, look
forward to using this phone on a daily basis again soon.