[debian] state of enlightment and illume packaging

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Nov 23 22:55:46 CET 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:38:05 +0000 "Neil Jerram" <neiljerram at googlemail.com>
babbled:

> 2008/11/23 Bernd Prünster <bernd.pruenster at gmail.com>:
> >
> > do you really care about segv ? this si not a debian issue, e17 is still in
> > development, but the recovery option is flawless (just my experience, but
> > ALWAYS worked and it doesn't take more that a few seconds, so you can still
> > answer a call if this happens!)
>
> I care if what I'm getting is the expected behaviour, or is atypical;
> with the related points being
> - is there something that I am doing wrong to cause this?
> - should I be spending time to collect and report more diagnostics?

it's atypical. trust me. i do NOT like segv's! if i see them, i hunt them down
with vengeance. the problem is reproducing them and getting a sensible
backtrace and possibly getting it to do the same in valgrind so i can pinpoint
the real source of the segv (which often is not the actual segv point but
earlier when something stomps over memory it shouldn't).

e is trying to accomplish a whole lot of things at once. be small and lean,
efficient and yet still provide a whole host of features and be sexy without
requiring incredibly high-end hardware. this all takes a lot of effort and
delicate balancing act. right now we're making long-term decisions on the base
of things to build on in the future and why it takes so long to "be stable" and
"release". the feedback i get from many users is our "unstable svn dev" is more
stable than most "releases" of most software - which is good. but i take bugs
seriously. some i know are just "haven't gotten to that subsystem yet in terms
of debugging/fixing/cleaning", so they just wait until i do, other are "what on
earth was that?" bugs.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com