[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Wed Oct 1 02:35:12 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 19:06:28 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> this works very unreliable; in (let's say) 8 of 10 cases it can't
> associate to the AP, even not after fresh re-boots and independently if
> the AP at my home works with WEP or in my office with WPA;
>
> what can I do? is someone willing to look into the debug output of the
> wpa_supplicant? or do I need somehow an update in the kernel drivers?
>
> I've installed as well lint-wifi; this does not even see the AP next
> door and to which I'm now after 2-3 tries connected too; strange, isn't
> it? there must be something broken in kernel land, I think;

I use testing and have varied success with wifi. I don't bother with trying to
identify what going on by what's being reported. It has been stated on here
that the issues with the driver are great enough that statistics may be
skewed.

What I have witnessed is that sometimes it appears the wireless hardware is
next to useless ... but then under a different update or on another day it
functions flawlessly even in a problematic area of the house. When I was
running stable with no real updates coming down, I couldn't even be bothered
with wireless.

At the moment, I am having issues. Selecting wireless 'on' results in nothing
being displayed. I have to push all my scripts back across so I haven't tested
manually yet.

So in summary, I don't think it's worth attempting to figure this out as an
end user as yet. I believe it's driver/kernel related. The hardware itself is
quite new so it doesn't really surprise me. I'd wait for a statement as
_everybody_ has this problem. I can't imagine the devs are sitting there with
freerunners and working wireless ;)

Sarton