dead battery

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 1 03:18:42 CEST 2008

I suggest removing/replacing the battery briefly before plugging into
the wall/charger - it seems GSM is the main culprit and it can "latch
up" draining the battery.  Resetting by removing power helps. (by
default, the charger only accepts 100ma which is less than the FR draws
in normal operation, so any more than this and its going backwards :)

A later u-boot than originally shipped helps the boot process - the
early u-boots almost always required a jump start and wouldnt accept a
residual charge (or didnt appear to for me).  Later u-boots stagger the
startup process so there is less of a negative current spike - this
generated a voltage drop which with a drained battery causes the control
chip to shut down the FR as it thinks the battery is really dead :)

BillK

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 09:52 +1000, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:45:08 Shawn "prjktdtnt" Thompson wrote:
> > Odd. Sadly that is the only way I was able to get mine going again,
> > would be nice to see a patch that corrects the issue somehow so that
> > people don't have to use workarounds in the future.
> > -Shawn
>
> I don't think it is as complicated as that. I think it's merely the amount of
> charge the FR is able to negotiate when powered off. Depending on the level of
> 'dead' determines how long you need to trickle charge it before anything
> useful occurs.
>
> I'd say battery maintenance and usage patterns may contribute also.
>
> From what I have seen on this list, I don't think this situation will change
> in a hurry, if ever.
>
> Sarton

Home in Perth!