Stable OM distro

Maciej Delmanowski harnir at harnir.net
Wed Oct 1 17:15:16 CEST 2008

On Oct 01, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> What's currently the most stable?
> I'd need to:
> - Entry pin (I haven't manage to do it in 2008.8 despite moving pen up)
> - Phone/Recive SMS
> - Have GPS/WiFi
> - Have USB Networking for initial setup

You can try FDOM. It's somewhat bloated, but works nicely for me. Suspend with
Power key worked every time (with sound being correctly brought back after
wakeup), it even got calls and SMS messages while in suspend and woke up.

As for an entry PIN - I turned off mine (or actually didn't set one to begin
with), I don't think I need one every time I startup my phone.

Call quality in FDOM is quite nice, there are some small echoes, but no
complaints so far. YMMV, I guess.

You have agpsui, Navit and TangoGPS available, and I think it should work, but
haven't tested it yet. WiFi works (with Mofi) out of the box.

In the recent version USB network is not setup properly because the
functionality was moved from the main kernel to a module. To fix it, simply do
"echo 'g_ether' >> /etc/modules" before you restart the phone, after
installation. Works like a charm.

In overall, I'm amazed with the FDOM, and despite bloat (needs a lot of
space), I think it's the best distro so far, even surpassing Qtopia (GPS).
Now, I wish that someone could port all those cool things to Debian. That
would be awesome!

Keep up the good work.
Maciej Delmanowski