[2008.09][FSO] Programming interface to wifi Icon

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Oct 1 17:20:23 CEST 2008

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:39:08 +0100, Arigead <captain.deadly at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry Yes I would like to use the Icon on the top of the illume bar. I
> was thinking interfacing this to my daemon so regardless of app you can
> see the wifi status the same as you can see the GSM status at present.
>
> If anybody knows about "somewhat different" :-) Would this presently be
> set by Kernel code the Window Manager?

It's part of the edje setup for the main screen, in illume.edj. (well, that
can differ - I've always installed illume-config and illume-config-illume)
You can think of the .edj file as a theme package of sorts, although it
abstracts more UI handling out of the program than traditional theming. In
OO fashion it separates all the user interaction into the edje file, with
the main application interacting via signals to change UI or respond to
user actions and triggers generated by the UI itself.

You can set up in the .edj file to support changing icons triggered by
signals from 'outside', and emit signals when some UI interaction (IE,
click the icon) takes place.  I'm interested in doing something similar
with USB, showing whether it's in host or device mode, networking vs mass
storage if device mode, sending or expecting power, forcing 500mA or 1000mA
charging, and ability to change all the above.

The program edje_editor is great for taking a look at such features.  It's
part of the E17 desktop setup, I've been playing with it in the developer
VM I'm working on.  It takes the intact .edj file and extracts all the
configs, images, etc from it and gives you a nice WYSYWIG GUI editor.  BTW
- I printed out the actual text config from illume.edj, it's about 100
pages long...  A simpler starting point to learn your way around .edj and
edje_editor is illume_init.edj, the startup theme.  (second view of the
boots, with the green scanning back and forth instead of indicating percent
progress)  It's quite easy to drop in a different background image,
redefine the animation, etc this way.

(Now what we really need is a tool running ON the FR that decompiles the
main .edj file and lets us replace wallpaper, etc - basic customization,
not full-on UI redesign work)