Idea for Openmoko application: Tide updates

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 13:11:34 CEST 2008

Al Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2008, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>>> For sure Adam.
>>>
>>> Like Michael said, we should start something in the wiki.
>>>
>>> I was looking for something similar and found this:
>>> http://www.sonimtech.com/
>>>
>>> This is what Im looking for, at least as a water proof case.
>>>
>>> Is this possible to use the actual GTA_02 hardware version to do:
>>> - Compass ?
>>> - Altimeter ?
>>>
>>> How should be the best way to have this information on the phone?
>>> Using an external hardware module?
>> I'm thinking we need to make a generic expandable water proof (or at
>> least harsh conditions proof) case for the FR.
>
> Have a look at otterbox.com - their 1900 and 3600 cases may be what you're
> looking for. I'm going to ask them about custom cases for the openmoko,
> either as something to clamp around as they do with their other
> phone-specific cases, or as a total case replacement.

Otterbox would consider making a custom case if a sufficiently large
order is placed by Openmoko rather than a third party. As a rough guide
this is probably thousands rather than tens of thousands.

Is there enough demand? We have the outdoor contingent, but that may not
be enough. I imagine the Sahana disaster management project [1] would
find the phones even more useful if they were more robust, as perhaps
would the archaeologists [2][3]. A device that can survive the warehouse
or delivery van might find industrial markets, and one that can be
dunked in disinfectant or steam cleaned might be useful in a medical
environment.

[1] http://www.sahana.lk/
[2] http://blogs.thehumanjourney.net/finds/category/OLPA
[3] http://gvsigmobileonopenmoko.wordpress.com/